About Me

My photo
I long for freedom, and when I get it, I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I will surely be happy.

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Tuesday, September 18, 2012
I was working on summarizing some news from Palestine today and I was writing this sentence "The program discusses Israeli settlers' harassment of the Palestinian people in Jerusalem." I knew I was supposed to put the word harassment between quotation marks but I didn't, because I simply thought that was a fact not an opinion.
I realized then that I can never ever be objective about the Palestinian issue...not as a translator, not as a journalist, and definitely not as a human being, I will always be emotional about it and defend it at least with words... 
Every time I hear Palestinian people's desperate messages on the radio to their sons in Israeli prisons I lose my mind, and every time I hear about a Palestinian house being demolished or a Palestinian land being stolen my heart breaks, and I find that being honest about what I know is true is more important than my career as a translator or a media analyst..

So, no. I will not write harassment between quotation marks.

0 comments: